Friday, January 8, 2021

The Accidental Comedianne

 

And funny, too.


A Magnificently Methodical Southern Woman
and The Most Brilliant Woman in the World 


I could never be a talk show host. Name the type of talks shows there are and I can tell you categorically I couldn't host any of them twice in a row. Neither could I be a comedianne. [Yes, I use the feminine of comedian and I don't care whether or not you like that, Nancy Pelosi.]

There's a reason for that. Those who know me in person, or who've read my books [Dancing at the Waffle House, Conversations in Hyperreality, among others], have invariably at many various points laughed out loud at something I say or write. "Oh, Angela," they all say, "you should be a comedian."

My reply is always, "I am just such as that, only...not on purpose." 

You see, my humor rarely involves a joke. Jokes have a setup, a pause, and a punchline. In front of an audience — whether that be in-person on a stage in front of a live audience, in-studio with a host and camera crew for audience, or on a podcast viewed by tens of people over a period of years — I am not, and never will be, the master of the joke. 

But let me be where I can have a conversation with someone and let that conversation run this way and that and let me have an opinion about anything underlying subjects in it, then my humor bone starts vibrating and next thing you know people are cracking up.

I was once interviewed on a college TV show about my first children's book "Heroes Need Practice, Too!" On that same show was this guy introduced as a comedian. He was funny. I laughed though not once did I feel the urge to tighten my bladder when he spoke. That is to say, he didn't make me laugh so hard that I thought I'd wet my pants.

After the interviews/performances were over, I went up to the young man to tell him he did a good job. He thanked me. Next thing I know, both he and the producer and the host of the show were needing a bathroom doubled up with major guffawing as they were with what I was saying. 

Finally able to catch a breath and wiping tears from his eyes, the young comedian said, "You are absolutely the funniest person I've ever met. You should be on stage."

I said, "Nah. You're funny on purpose. Me, I'm just situationally funny."

If a script has to be followed. 

If I have to deliver words written by a team to an anonymous audience.

If those words must be delivered at a particular time and within a certain time limit. 

Then I am not your girl. 

You see, while I am The Most Brilliant Woman In The World, I still hear slow and respond slowly because as TMBWITW I see many facets upon which to opine. Which shall it be? I must run through them all. But once I've decided, then...well, I move forward pretty quickly.

So [shameless plug coming atcha], buy my books for yourself and as gifts for others. You'll all have more fun, you won't be wasting time, and giftees will thank you profusely. 


SUPPORT YOUR CITIZEN JOURNALIST.
AND BUY A BOOK!


1 comment: