Saturday, September 30, 2017

Saturday Silliness: Dancing at the Waffle House...again.

by Angela K. Durden
Technology inventor protecting creator's copyrights. Business writer, novelist, songwriter, and Citizen Journalist.


Regular readers of this blog know me well. If music is on, my body's moving. I can't help it. It just happens. So there I was this morning, again dancing at the Waffle House, turning it into a disco. This is how it happened.
My fave Waffle House is on Lawrenceville Highway at 285 on the Tucker-Decatur line.

I woke up and was hungry and felt in need of a decent walk. I wasn't of a mind to cook toast and eggs and the Waffle House is just 1.5 miles from me, so naturally I put on my trainers, packed a couple of books, some money, and other necessities in my sling bag, and off I went.

Coffee, two eggs over medium, raisin toast, and hash browns — scattered well, smothered, covered, and diced.

Folks, it don't get no better than that.

A gentle read at the counter ensued as I waited for my food to be prepared. Sipping on coffee I quickly became aware of two dramas playing out next to me. 

There was this woman on a stool to my right tightly clutching her purse with one hand and quickly eating with the other. She looked neither right nor left and seemed as if this was the first time she'd ever been to Waffle House. 

You may rest assured: I didn't stare. She went to pay with a credit card. It was declined. She looked angry and upset and worried all at the same time and dug around in her purse looking for cash which, thankfully, she finally found enough to pay. I bet she was newly divorced and he was a sumbitch who left her broke. 

The next thing I saw were two people huddling around the waffle irons. The man opened it and tried to peel the waffle out, couldn't, and put it back. The woman shook her head. They both shrugged. Seems a breaker had tripped that directly controlled the waffle irons. With the breaker reset and at least ten minutes to wait for the irons to reheat properly, much whispered discussion amongst the workers ensued.

"What do we tell them?"
"Do we give people refunds?"
"No waffles at the Waffle House? Peoples gonna be mad. Ooo-wee."

By this time I cleaned my plate and emptied my cup and took my bill to the cash register. Obviously a song was playing that had a good dance groove and just as obviously to the people around me, though I was oblivious, I started dancing.

I know this because a woman sitting at the end stool placing a to-go order said, and I quote verbatim, "Oooooo! You GO, girl!" And lots of people smiled and laughed at which time I got into the spirit more and started saying funny things and doing a couple of disco moves with pointy fingers and shoulder rolls and such as that. 

I said to the woman, "Hey, I hope they are filming this and will put it on the Disco Waffle House YouTube channel. Whatcha say? Why don't we get out in the middle of the aisle and boogie?"

Big laughs all around but no takers. But I bet if I'd kept at it, that woman would've soon joined me and we would've had the whole place doing the Waffle House Jive. 

But I'm not the only one who dances at the Waffle House. See these.






















No comments:

Post a Comment