Tuesday, February 6, 2018

It's a good thing I changed the headline to this article.

by Angela K. Durden

Glenn Harlan Reynolds, Opinion columnist for USAToday.com wrote:

"I’ve been watching a lot of institutions fail lately, from Hollywood, to the news media, to the NFL and ESPN, to political parties and academia, and I see a common factor. The problem is that whatever job its members are supposed to be doing at the moment, our ruling class cares more about what the rest of the ruling class thinks about it, than about the job it’s supposed to be doing. The result, quite often, is a debacle."

Harlan also called them inbred. That led to me coming up with headlines for this article that, as soon as they were written and I laughed out loud, clearly would paint a target on my chest for no good reason.

So I changed them. 

No. I will not tell you what they were, but with inbred as a topic, you can well imagine the fun I was having at the expense of all terrorists around the globe — and I would not have been lying, either.

Which reminds me of Queen Victoria, not that she was inbred, but that she was an elite who had no clue about what regular folks cared about or their experiences. What I like about Queen V is this: She was willing to learn. And once she learned, she was willing to adapt and change and help.

Queen V knew she was inexperienced, readily admitted bad decisions, rectified those, and took steps to get the proper experience that would benefit the citizens of her realm. 

Mother of the Year she was not, but a damn fine monarch she proved to be. 

Nobody likes a lecture from on high delivered by a self-appointed and self-righteous preacher. Reminds me of a poem called "The Preacher's Mistake" by William Croswell Doane. It goes like this in part:

The parish priest
of austerity,
climbed up in a high church steeple
to be nearer God,
so that he might hand
His word down to His people.

MORE VERSES HERE, THEN THE LAST TWO VERSES SAY:

And in sermon script
he daily wrote
what he thought was sent from heaven,
and he dropped this down
on his people's heads
Two times one day in seven.

In his age God said,
"Come down and die!"
And he cried out from the steeple,
"Where art though, Lord?"
And the Lord replied,
"Down here among my people."


No comments:

Post a Comment