Monday, September 25, 2017

The Creepy Amazon Algorithm that Suggests Explosive "Must" Haves

by Kim D.

As first reported in UK's Independent, Amazon's algorithm that makes helpful suggestions of what customers might like to buy based on past purchases needs quite a bit of adjustment. The report claims the following:
This basically means that some users had bought at least one component used in home-made bomb making so Amazon suggested the rest of the ingredients:
If users click on Thermite, for example, which is a pyrotechnic composition of metal powder, the website links to two other items, which constitute the basic bomb-making materials. 
For the most part, my recommendations are pretty tame.  I recently bought dog food because our pup is on a special diet and due to flooding issues, our vet is temporarily out of business.  However, because I have Amazon Prime account, in this past month I have noticed a slew of emails making recommendations for me and not based on past purchases.

Amazon Prime was sending me friendly reminders of things I have searched for at Amazon, like an Rtic Cooler, or tons of suggestions of what I might like to listen to, read on the Kindle, or watch on my Fire Stick.  After learning about about Amazon's creepy recommendations, I went to my account and under "Emails, Alerts, and Ads,"  I disabled and unsubscribed to all to stop the bombardment of emails I'd been receiving.  I recommend you review your account because I noticed that I was magically subscribed to receive emails from 71 Amazon departments, something I never consciously did.


No comments:

Post a Comment