Tuesday, April 18, 2017

F#%& You Gluten

by Kim D.

I think I've finally solved the problem at 3:30 this morning. My son is suffering from an intense sensitivity to gluten which is simply a catch-all word for proteins found in wheat, rye, and barley products. For weeks now he has been waking up early in the morning and vomiting all that had been eaten the night before.  Then the diarrhea (or as he calls it "liquid poo") kicks in. 

At first we thought it was a stomach bug. He stayed out of school for two days and appeared fine for three days then was sick over the weekend.  He went back to school and was fine for the entire week then puked early Easter morning after seeing what the Bunny had brought. (He still has yet to eat one chocolate egg).

Yesterday all was great and he ate so well. Early this morning it was clear - this is no stomach bug; this is most likely a dietary issue which has reared its grotesque head and is about to upend my son's world. You see, he is a very picky eater who loves his carbs. Yes, I know the grocery store has gluten-free options, but the ones I've tried haven't left a great impression.

This sucks! F you gluten. I've washed his bedding 5 times already in the last two weeks!

Whoops - excuse my rant - liquid poo attack in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1

No comments:

Post a Comment