Friday, March 31, 2017

The Time I Almost Heard AC/DC Live

By Ecklebob Chiselfritz

Thin Lizzy were breakout stars and AC/DC were just breaking big in the US.

I went to Comisky Park in Chicago's South Side to see them.

The home of the White Sox.

Lemme backtrack a bit here. If I get a couple names wrong it's because of the cloud time puts upon ones memory.

When the White Sox decided Comisky Park was too early 1800's to play in anymore, owner Bill Veeck decided to build a new ball park.

He decided to build the new stadium in the same area of Chi Town.

The South Side.

Construction was going along at a good clip when workers arriving in the morning began to notice something quite startling.

Bullet holes in the area where the upper bleacher seats were going to be located.

Turns out some of the fine residents of the Henry Horner high rise public housing projects...all the way across the Dirty Dan Ryan Expressway...were taking rifle target practice on the new stadium.

Construction plans were quickly redesigned.

Back to Comisky Park...

The sound system SUCKED.

I could see Thin Lizzy, but they may as well have just been waving to me because I couldn't hear a goddam thing.

I did see AC/DC's Bon Scott riding around on Angus Young's shoulders as Angus appeared to be playing a guitar.

Did I mention the sound system sucked?

Here is my favorite AC/DC song.




No comments:

Post a Comment